Sunday 16 February 2014

Who would have thought?

For the past two days, i have been kayaking. Like alot.

Basicially i signed up for two star kayaking because hey why not since my platoonmates are going. 

On the 1st day, we were introduced to our spray skirt and its purpose and we refreshed our memory and skills for 1 star kayaking and what not. Fast forward a lil, i partnered with my trusty Suzana and headed off for kayaking. We had to perform our capsize drills and it was so daunting!!!! But i guess it got better after the first try.  
We went for dinner after that with the rest of the CLTs. dinner was satisfying but someone's action made me feel a lil mad. But i guess he had his reasons.

The first day was pretty good. I enjoyed my time spent with Suzana, we shared alot with each other. So thats great.


Second day was much more tiring. 
We paddled against the currents into a not so shallow bank further away from tje rest of the groups. We basically learnt the different rescue methods and how to employ them. One rescue method meant alot to me tho, strangely enough. It was one that i had to literally put my life on someone elses. But hey, i placed my life on someone i truly trusted so thats great. I'm not sure if that person felt that way too, but its alright. 


Another take away from this kayaking course is that i better learned how to communicate with other cadets. We shouldn't be  complacent and act as if we're some bigshots or what. As CLTs, we have to adapt to different cadets and not the other way round. 

Speaking of which, i met two cadets that left a lasting impression on me, they were polite and had this 'i can do it' attitude, which is quite rare to see in cadets nowadays.

Another thing that has been bugging my mind is that i had a cadet that attended this kayaking course but due to his ADHD(ithink), had to be left out on the 2nd day due to the instructor's judgement call. Although the instructor meant well, shouldn't we take steps to ensure that he is given the same experience at 2 star kayaking  as with other cadets? He was told that he would fail the assessment no matter what but he spoke to me and said that he would still come next week as he didn't want to give up. 

He might be mischevious. He might have some wrongdoings. But he has a positive mindset to such matters,a never give up mentality , isn't that what WE wanted o see in cadets? If yes, why aren't we giving him another chance? 

I don't understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment